Pages

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Sun, Sand and Sea in Goa

I am a complete water baby. I am the happiest when I am near the sea. I find the expanse of the ocean both fascinating and intriguing. The treasures it holds within itself, the sound of the waves hitting the shore are all so amazing. One day I’d like to have a house that opens up to the sea and I can wake up in the morning and just walk down to the beach barefeet. My favourite holiday spot has always been Goa. It’s a place I went to when I was much younger, with my family, cousins, and it was our idea of a perfect holiday. And it has remained the same since then.




If you are a beach lover, Goa is definitely the place to go to. It has all the elements that make some of the well-known beaches in the world a tourist haven. Although I am somebody who likes going to Goa during the season, which is around November to March, going to Goa during monsoon has its own advantages. The place is stunningly pleasant when it rains, the lush greens are enchanting and since the place is quiet, you can have your peace. Having said that, I like the buzz when tourists from all over the world come to Goa and it wears a very global village look.



I hear people saying that it’s too crowded and losing its charm, but I don’t think so at all. There are still some quiet beaches in the South for those who want that kind of serenity. And then there is Panjim, the capital, which is like any other old town in the world — quaint and charming. I like walking through the narrow lanes of Panjim, looking at the old villas and churches when I want a day away from the beach. But that doesn’t happen often as I am most often on the beaches, soaking in the sun.



I spend most of my day on the beach and read a book, go for a swim, come back and read some more, and the day continues. You somehow never seem to get bored of that even if it might sound like another routine. And each trip I have made to Goa, I like to go and sit in a different shack, and go to that same one each day during the trip. So I have made friends with the guys who work at this shack. They are really friendly and warm people. People here in general are very warm, chilled out and fun loving, which adds to the attraction of the place.



I am a complete foodie and prawn curry rice is my absolute favourite. I can have it at a shack or go to a fancy restaurant and gorge on it. And who doesn’t love the ambience and scrumptious sea food at Britto’s, a perennial favourite. After hanging out all day on the beach, it’s fun to dress up and go out for dinners in the evening and if your heart fancies, go out clubbing to some of the best nightclubs in the country.



Goa has music running through its system, so be it at clubs where they play amazing music, to restaurants where musicians play live, you can tap your feet and shake your head to the beats. I always buy music that you somehow get only in local stores or flea markets here. And whenever there is a live concert, mostly for trance or lounge music, you will find the who’s who of Mumbai attending.



Shopping is fun in Goa, from flea markets to local talented designers; you get what you want here. It’s a place you will never have enough of no matter how many times you have been there.

0 comments:

Post a Comment